Weddings are packed with very intricate design details, from the flowers, to the photography there are a multitude of very different styles in each area of expertise. When they say a picture is worth a thousand words, they’re right, because in a thousand words you might not be able to describe your visions and style for your wedding photography, that’s why we are talking today about creating a wedding photography moodboard.
Creating a moodboard gives you the opportunity to share your vision for the style of your wedding images. Style can be anything from the posing to the lighting and anything in between so it is very important that we as photographers, understand exactly what you want to see.
So what is a moodboard anyway
Simply put, a mood board is an idea that provides inspiration of your favorite images. By adding your favorite images you can convey to us as photographers, what you value in photography and what specific images resonate with you. This proves much easier than trying to convey the same with words or phrases.
A moodboard is NOT a shot list
It’s important to understand that a mood board isn’t a shot list. That is completely separate. The mood board gives us the ideas, the inspiration to create images you’ll visually enjoy. Your shot list is simply a list of images you’d like to see at the end of the day, mostly with names of who you’d like to see in your formal images.
How do I create my wedding photography moodboard?
It’s very simple and you’ll probably have a lot of fun doing it.
- Create a Pinterest account (or sign in if you already have one)
- Create a board and name it “Wedding Photography Moodboard” (Be sure to make it public)
- Visit Visions Photo Studios Blog and pin images you like. Also enter a description of why you like each image. Feel free to also add some additional images from around the web as well, however our primary source should be our blog above as much as possible.
- Once complete send us the board’s URL
Some things to keep in mind about you moodboard
- 20-30 images is best
- The more detailed you make descriptions, the better. Remember, it’s why you like the image and what specifically you like about it. Be specific
- If possible include shots from your venue.
Checkout this quick video that goes through creating a moodboard
So to summarize, a Wedding Photography moodboard is a great way to really help your photographer understand what images resonate with you. It’s as simple as creating a new board on Pinterest and adding images from our website or around the web. Don’t forget to have fun with it! The wedding planning process should be just as fun as the wedding itself!